Thursday, April 7, 2016

National Walking Day

Yesterday was National Walking Day.


 The American Heart Association sponsors this day to promote being heart healthy.  The AHA is concerned because as Americans we are spending less time being active therefore we increase our risk for heart disease, stroke and other health problems.

National Walking Day is held the first Wednesday in April every year and it is the kick-off of April being a month long celebration to be more active.  One of my local running stores, Charm City Run is hosting an event for NWD.  I decided to join and walk today.  Why should you walk?  Walking is easy and low-risk.  I strive to walk 10,000 steps each day.


A regular program (walking) can also:

  • Improve your cholestrol profile
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Increase your energy and stamina
  • Boost "couch potato" bone strength
  • Help prevent weight gain

The American Heart Association recommends that adults get 150 minutes or more of moderate-intensity physical activity or 75 minutes of vigorous activity each week.  Even short activity sessions can be added up to achieve this goal. Here are some articles:
I arrived at Charm City Run only to find out that I was the only one attending the walk.  However, they had a half marathon training group practice that evening and I was invited to stay for the discussions and the run.  The first lecture was on nutrition and the guest speaker was Lauren from Live Full Baltimore.  She was fantastic.  The run followed around Lake Elkhorn however I walked about half the distance (2 miles).  My Garmin Vivoactive watch shut down about mid-point through this and I wondered if it would record everything.  To my amazement this morning after charging the watch, it did!  Following the walk (run), there was a discussion on various watches.  Afterwards the group went for pizza and drinks and I was invited; lively and fun group with wonderful discussions.  I even saw one of my friends from MRTT (Moms Run This Town). Overall, I had a great time even though it wasn't what I thought it would be and how much fun that life gave me this great opportunity.


Till next time and remember, my journey continues...If you can dream it, you can do it as Walt Disney said!



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response to your comment, please provide an email address and I would be happy to respond. Thank you.

#RIOTS Week Six and Seven

It's weeks six and seven for the #RIOTS.  I got a week behind as I had a lot of personal things going on these last two weeks. I ha...