Tuesday, May 10, 2016

St. Mary's Inaugural Historic Half Marathon

I had the opportunity to run through Maryland’s first colonial capital and North America's best preserved English colonial archaeological site for the St. Mary's Inaugural Historic Half Marathon. A portion of the event profits were donated to the St. Mary's College of Maryland's Cross Country team.

Historic St. Mary's City and St. Mary's College of Maryland are located next to each in Southern Maryland.
 The weekend weather was stormy and raining with a forecast of thunderstorms.  The race directors were wonderful with communications about the race and weather conditions.  Personally, I was looking forward to revisiting this area of Maryland and running this race as I know the beauty of the Historic City, campus and the Potomac River.
Up early and on the road in the rain.  By the time that I reached St. Mary's, it was pouring rain.  I grabbed my shirt and bib while sitting in my car to stay warm and dry.  I love my new hidden comfort Balega socks.

I headed for the start line, quick picture and ran into some Sparkle Skirts Sisters while we were all wearing different skirts!  I love that I always see "sisters" at my races.  It feels like family!


The race started in pouring rain which lasted until about mile six.  The race initially went through the college and then out to the highway.  Mile four was a hill for about a mile but the downhill was great. Not a lot of race support but plenty of water/hydration stops due to the highway and mile six was beautiful through a lovely waterfront neighborhood.  I got rid of my rain poncho at this point as I was starting to really overheat.  

The rain stopped about mile 7 and the rest of the race was beautiful-lovely neighborhoods with shade and river while the race ended in Historic St. Mary's City.  


I was happy to finish and loved showing off my Sparkle Skirt since it matched the medal.  I would run this race again and hopefully not in the pouring rain!  



Till next time and remember, my journey continues...If you can dream it, you can do it as Walt Disney said!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response to your comment, please provide an email address and I would be happy to respond. Thank you.

#RIOTS Week Six and Seven

It's weeks six and seven for the #RIOTS.  I got a week behind as I had a lot of personal things going on these last two weeks. I ha...