Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rock 'N' Roll DC Race Recap: Part II

The night before the race, I put together my race outfit.  I wasn't going to go patriotic for this race however I found cute arm sleeves at the Expo.  How cute are these sleeves! :)
Flat Me
I woke up at 4 am on race morning feeling tired, excited, butterflies in my stomach but who doesn't feel this way on race day!  
Morning Selfie


I drove to DC and parking was super easy, what a pleasant surprise! The sunrise was beautiful over the city.  
DC Sunrise
I hopped on the Metro to go downtown (Federal Triangle) for the Sparkle Sister meet-up.  I had planned it and was hoping for a lot of sisters but this was more than I thought would show up.  I love meeting new Sparkle Sisters and in every race, I always make a new friend because of Sparkle Skirts.  These women are wonderful and there were many well wishes for the race going around!  
Sparkle Sisters

More Sparkle Sisters



A quick trip to the restroom and off to the start line.  Of course, a quick selfie with friends never hurts either!  
DC Selfie at Start Line
Selfie with Valerie





The race started and we were off.  First towards the Kennedy Center, the Memorial Bridge and then through Washington, DC.  As I stated in Part I, I was a bit hesitant about this race.  I had never run through some of the parts of DC with this race and the elevation at mile 6 scared me.  However, the bands were wonderful along with the race support!  Rockburn Park was beautiful and before I knew it, mile 6 was approaching!  Yes, it is quite a hill!  As one of my friends wrote on Facebook, he lost a lung and wondered if anyone had found it.  The Wear Blue to Remember folks where at mile 6 with pictures and flags; quite a solemn moment.  I made up it up the hill, turned the corner and there was a water stop along with a band.  Well done, RNR DC!  Just what I needed!  There is a small hill at mile  9 which ran through a neighborhood and there was a Guinness Beer stop at one of the houses. Of course, I needed a swig of beer from these friendly people.  I forgot to take a picture though; maybe next year! Somewhere between miles 9 and 10, I was in Adams Morgan and I ran into my friend, Brian from Shake Shack.  He asked me how I was doing and I replied GREAT!  He gave me a hug and wished me well.    At mile 10 as I turned a corner, what did I see but the Brooks guy!  This was fantastic!  
Brooks Guitar Guy
At mile 11, Toyota was there with inspirational signs and neighborhood people were handling out jelly bean!  The bands and neighborhood support were wonderful throughout this race!  I had a mouth full of jelly beans when I posed for this picture! :)  
Toyota Mile 10


Before I knew it, I could see RFK stadium and the finish line.  I sprinted to the finish line without realizing that I still had that much left in me!  All I can say about this race is WONDERFUL!  I have always loved the RNR Race Series and this one is going down as one of my favorite races!  The bands, the course, the neighborhoods along with the support were all amazing!  A huge thank you to all the volunteers, police and medical who helped make this race wonderful!  We depend on you such much as runners and are so grateful for your support and time!  THANK YOU!  

I waited for friends, grabbed food and headed home.  This is the first half marathon that I've done and didn't feel tired.  I guess my cross-training is really helping!  Of course, my beloved Balega socks helped me too!  
Finish Line

Finisher's picture

Balega-The Best Socks Ever!

GWP Bib with Medal

Shirt with Medal



I can't say enough good things about this race.  I'm already signed up for next year and can't wait to do it again!  The only thing that I would change is that I need to take more pictures!  Again, RNR seems to have it together even the next day when I received an email with all my finisher badges, certificate, pictures, etc.  Well done, RNR!


Finisher Badges



Til next time and remember, my journey continues...If you can dream it, you can do it as Walt Disney said!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response to your comment, please provide an email address and I would be happy to respond. Thank you.

#RIOTS Week Six and Seven

It's weeks six and seven for the #RIOTS.  I got a week behind as I had a lot of personal things going on these last two weeks. I ha...