Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Mayor's 40th Icicle 10 Mile Race Recap

As part of my New Year's goals, I had decided to run in three new states for races this year.  I saw this race on US Road Running and registered for it.  This race is held in Wilmington, DE every year in January.


I put together my flat me while making my shirt since I had limited time to try to find an appropriate shirt for the race.

 I was hesitate about what to wear since the weather forecast called for rain but it was quite warm.  I drove to Wilmington, Delaware on Sunday morning around 6 am and very easily found the start of the race.  This race starts and ends at the YMCA in downtown Wilmington.  Parking was easy to find and free.  I arrived safely and picked up my shirt and bib at the YMCA.  I really like the shirt, nice material and little logo advertisement on it.  I also managed to snap a picture of the course map.


The race started promptly at 9 am and had almost 300 runners.  The course itself was really nice going through part of downtown Wilmington leading into Brandywine and Rockwood Parks.  These areas were wooded along the Brandywine River and the it was so beautiful.  There are numerous trails throughout these areas and I am jealous of runners who live locally and are able to enjoy these areas.  


This race was my slowest yet as I had fallen on a treadmill on Monday and badly bruised and skin burned my knees. However all the runners during the race were extremely friendly and kind.  The volunteers along with the police officers were friendly and helpful in directing the course and the course was well laid-out with markers along with water/gatorade stops.  I met some very nice women prior to the race and they stayed at the end to cheer me into the finish along with a Sparkle Skirt sister who hugged me half way through the race.  She noticed me since I posted my flat picture in a Facebook group for Sparkle Skirts.

The best features of this race were the after-party and the hot showers available at the YMCA afterwards.  The after-party was held two blocks away from the finish line at an Asian Grill and Sushi Bar, Mikimotos.  There were free beers along with water, cereal and milk, granola bars, pastries galore, yogurt and fresh fruit.  Included were sodas and huge pretzels for the trip home.  I went there briefly and then back to the YMCA for a quick use of my Showerpill and a hot shower.  


I really enjoyed this race and it may become a standard New Year's race for me.  I love my first medal of 2016 while striving to achieve one of my goals for the new year.  

What race have you done to start this New Year?  Show me a picture in the comments.   Till next time and remember, my journey continues...If you can dream it, you can do it as Walt Disney said!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response to your comment, please provide an email address and I would be happy to respond. Thank you.

#RIOTS Week Six and Seven

It's weeks six and seven for the #RIOTS.  I got a week behind as I had a lot of personal things going on these last two weeks. I ha...