Monday, August 1, 2016

Health and hypothyroism



As you know, I haven't been feeling well for a couple of months now.  I attributed part of it to my crazy May running schedule-four half marathons in 21 days along with starting a new job.  However, after not feeling well for in my opinion too long, I decided to seek medical assistance. Since thryoid problems run in my family I decided to research it more and make an appointment. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped endocrine gland that is normally located in the lower front of the nect.  The thyroid's job is to make thryoid hormones, which are secreted into the blood and then carried to every tissue in the body.  Thyroid hormone helps the body use energy, stay warm and keep the brain, heart, muscles and other organs working as they should.  My primary care doctor found nodules and ran blood tests.  However, these came back in the normal range. Did you know that most thyroid problems go undiagnosed? Do you know the symptoms?



 Still not feeling satisfied and experiencing symptoms which included uneven body temperature, weight gain, lack of energy and sleep and overall not feeling well,  I decided to seek out another opinion.  I found a Thryoid Center at GBMC and scheduled an appointment.  I met with the doctors who performed more intensive tests including a biospy.  Talk about being afraid when they say that they are going to put needles into your neck!  However, everything went well and after a week, I found out that I intend have an low functioning thryoid which is hypothryoidism!  I started on medication on Saturday and hope to feel back to my "normal" self in a couple of weeks.




Thank you for all your support and I'm crossing fingers that I get back to my old self by the end of the summer!  Remember to always trust yourself, your body and get a second opinion if necessary.

Till next time and remember, my journey continues...If you can dream it, you can do it as Walt Disney said!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response to your comment, please provide an email address and I would be happy to respond. Thank you.

#RIOTS Week Six and Seven

It's weeks six and seven for the #RIOTS.  I got a week behind as I had a lot of personal things going on these last two weeks. I ha...